Archeologists from the Vienna Museum in Austria Said Wednesday that the Remains of Around 150 Soldiers Had Been Discovered in A Mass Roman Grave.
Construction Work to Renovate A Football Pitch in the Residential and Industrial Area ofSimmering, discovered the Skeletal Remains in October.
Now, complying with professional evaluation, it has actually been verified that the remains go back to the first century unique realm.
Expert Says Discovery ‘Extremely Rare’
The Remains of 129 People Were Confirmed to have actually been located at the website and Further Excavation Resulted in the Discovery of More Bones, Leading Experts to Believe the Number of Bodies Tops 150.
The Vienna Museum Said the Discovery of Skeletal Finds from this specific duration is incredibly unusual because of the technique of cremation unstil the third century advertisement.
“As cremation burials were common in the European Parts of the Roman Empire Around 100 ad, body burials were an absolute exception. Finds of novel skeletons from this period are extremely rare,” Explained Kristina Adler- Wölfl, Head of City Archaeology.
Dead Had Been Killed in Battle
The Museum Said Those Buried Had Been Agge Between 20 and 30 Years Old and Were Exclusively Males Who Appeared To Have Been Killed in Battle.
Injuries Caused by Swords, Spears, Daggers and Projectile Bolts Were Identified as The Causes of Death, Leading the Team of Experts to Determine That Those Killed Had Be Part Of A Military Operation That Ended in Catastrophe.
“Within the Context of Roman Act of War, there are no Comparable Finds of Fighters,” Said Michaela Binder,Who Led The Archeological Dig “There are huge battlefields in germany where weepons were found. But finding the dead, that is unique for the enttire novel history.”
The Vienna Museum Said that Further In-Depth Investigations would certainly continy which research study was still at a really early stage.
Edited by: Sean Sinico